Sunday, November 22, 2009

Christ the King

Today is Christ the King Sunday. My friend loves this day. I am not too sure. I wonder what it means for me living in 2009 in North Dakota to say that Jesus is King? I have often talked about primary identity. What is my primary identity? Am I an American who happens to be a Christian, or am I a Christian that happens to live in America. I lean towards the latter, but most people in my parish would lean towards the former.

I argue quite often with my older brother about theology. He is a conservative fundamentalist and I am a flaming progressive. He would say that he is an American Christian, and I love him for that. But saying that Jesus is King is making a political statement just like the first followers of Jesus made when they said that Jesus is Lord and Caesar is not. But do we mean Jesus is King always when we say it or does it matter what is happening in our lives?

I think many people think of Jesus and God only during times of great stress and trial. God is the escape hatch in the troubles of life, and I find this difficult to come to terms with. I would like to see more people taking their religion a lot more serious. Not like the pious people of the past, but like people who want to change the world for the better with the love of God.

Christ is King, not just of heaven, but of earth too. Does that make a difference to us?

No comments: